Thursday, February 3, 2011

Interesting Realizations

I won't name the blogs I read, I'll leave them nameless, but while reading these blogs, I came to a sort of sad realization yesterday.  These bloggers helped me realize something that I already knew, but I guess it just reiterated the fact.  What did I realize? People keep too many sad, painful secrets to themselves, and this really slows the healing process down.

I know in my own life, I've had to endure some pretty horrid, horrid things.  That being said, I know that there are people who endure what I have, and much, much more.  One blog I read talked about how our perception these days of "perfection" really ruins our lives from the inside out.  Thinking you aren't good enough because you aren't as thin or as fit as the woman you see at the grocery store that has six kids and a "perfect" body, and she obviously doesn't look like any child ever came out of her. personal experience of one particular individual.  For all you know that woman could have a condition that makes her feel pretty lousy, but makes her look like she's "perfect."  Or thinking you're trapped in your marriage, putting up with abuse in whatever form or another, feeling like you can't escape, and being so envious of your neighbors seemingly "perfect" marriage, that you brag about how wonderful your spouse is.  But how many secrets do you think that "perfect" marriage has?? Probably as many as you do.  Or being too proud to tell your friends you can't vacation with them because you just don't have the money, because the reality of it is, you're drowning in debt.  But you'd never say that because then what would they think of you?

This sort of perfection tears your life apart!! Reading this post tore me up.  This really happens.  Girls struggle with eating disorders because they don't think they're good enough or pretty enough.  Athletes that take steroids because they aren't strong enough, fast enough, big enough.  How many people feel like they don't measure up? How many people struggle with shame and fear for something that they hide from the world?

The second blog I read was a personal experience that someone had.  A very, very sad, but all too common experience.  I really don't want to go into detail, but in this blog, the writer warned the readers that they were all about to learn something that probably none of us knew about this writer before! And I'll tell you, I was shocked.  First of all, I am close to the writer, very close, and I was shocked to discover this secret.

All this reading and realizing that people keep so many painful secrets to themselves made me realize just how grateful I am for the atonement.  The peace, healing, forgiveness and comfort the atonement brings me has been the biggest blessing in my life.  I was also thinking the other day how grateful I am that I was born into the church.  While talking with a friend, we quickly determined that if I hadn't been born into it, I would definitely be searching for it.  After all the hard, painful things that have happened to me, I'm so grateful that I've had the atonement to take away that pain, otherwise... I don't know where I would be.

So here I am, to testify to all of you of the reality of the atonement! It's so incredibly beautiful, and real! Not only that, but the Lord wants us to use it! He loves us so much that He doesn't want to see us in pain.  We are His children.  His love for us is so incomprehensible... He gave us this flawless plan designed to bring us closer to Him, how could we not use it? I'm so grateful for the gospel, so grateful for the atonement and the peace and healing and comfort it brings.  I'm grateful for the pain it takes away - every single pain.  We are so blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment