Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Chocolate Comfort Cookies and homemade Marshmallow Fluff!


Marshmallow fluff, anyone?

Oh yeah, baby!

Especially when this delicious concoction is homemade!

Yeah, you heard right.  Home to the made.

pssssttt... they're healthier too!!!! Made with agave, no corn syrup or high fructose nonsense, for real!

You want the recipe? I know you do! I snagged it from a blog (I kind of adore searching for healthier food on blogs... just sayin'.)  Recently I started following this blog: Homesteadwannabes.blogspot.com  and it is has some great recipes on there! I'm a huge fan.

Now, I'll have you know, today was the first day I ever tried a fluffernutter.  Not a ginormous fan, but I am a ginormous fan of homemade marshmallow cream.  So my mom and I added a few chocolate chips, and that made it pretty freakin' good.  I was lacking in the calorie department today, so I didn't feel too guilty, plus, I've got to make up for all the weight I've lost being sick for the past couple of months.  :)

So, you may be asking why I went searching for a marshmallow recipe in the first place.  Well, my mom loves reading murder mysteries.  As do I, but seeing as she has read about a bajillion more than I have, she's run across some particularly fun ones.  One series, the Goldy Culinary Mysteries, she reads is about a caterer, and the book has several recipes in it.  How neat is that? I guess the author is really into cooking as well as writing, so it's kind of like a murder mystery cook book.  That's my kind of book right there.  I'll find out exactly what the series is called and let you know if you, for those of you who, like me, enjoy both books and food!

Anyway, in the Goldy Culinary Mystery series, (the specific book is "Grilling Season") there is a particularly FABULOUS recipe called Chocolate Comfort Cookies, which calls for marshmallow cream.  Now, my family eats pretty darn healthy, and let's face it, marshmallow cream just ain't healthy! My mom had a real hankering for these cookies, and I told her I knew you could make homemade marshmallows, which got us thinking, can you make a healthier version of marshamallows? And so we looked, and I ran across the recipe from homesteadwannabes.blogspot.com, and we kinda freaked out.  To make marshamallow cream instead of marshmallows, you just beat the ingredients for about 3-5 minutes instead of 15, and don't let them set up.  And I'm telling you, it's about 100x better than storebought Jetpuff crap.  For real.

So go check it out, kids! You'll fall in love.

Hey.... You want that chocolate comfort cookie recipe?

Done :)

Chocolate Comfort Cookies
1 cup chopped hazelnuts (roasted)
2 cups chocolate chips
1/2 cup sundried cranberries
1 cup butter (softened)
1 cup sugar
3 oz. cream cheese (softened)
1 egg
2 tabl. milk
1 1/2 teas. vanilla
2 oz. unsweetened chocolate (melted)
2 1/4. cup flour
1/2 teas. baking powder
1/2 teas. salt
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 cup marshmallow cream

Combine hazelnuts, chocolate chips, and cranberries and set aside.  Beat butter, sugar, cream cheese and egg, then add milk, vanilla, and melted chocolate.  Sift flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder, then add to the wet mixture.  Blend in marshmallow cream, and add nut mixture.  Stir until well mixed.  Bake at 325 for  12-15 minutes.

Our healthy variation: we made our own marshmallow cream.  Also, instead of butter, we used half a cup of applesauce, and scant half cup of canola oil.  We used sifted whole wheat flour (nice and light, it didn't make the cookies heavy) instead of white flour.  Instead of granulated sugar, we used evaporate cane juice.  We used fat free cream cheese, fat free milk, and we would have substituted flax meal for the egg, but we didn't have any.

Just a side note, anytime you are cooking with butter in cakes or cookies or pancake or waffle batter, something like that, you can substitute applesauce or yogurt for the entire thing if you want to.  We didn't have enough applesauce to substitute the entire cup of butter, so we used half applesauce and half canola oil.  if you are going to use oil, use less than what the recipe calls for.

Happy eating, ya'll :)

No comments:

Post a Comment