Tuesday, October 19, 2010

You know what makes me happy? You.

So the title of this blog comes from the mouth of one of the sweet little boys I nanny.  One day, I hate to admit it, but I was a little annoyed with him.  He didn't get a nap that day, so he was quite grumpy, he was whining and not listening to a thing I said.  I told him he needed to be still and stop whining and tell me all about the pretty colors he saw outside.  He interrupted me by saying, "You know what makes me happy?" And I said, "What makes you happy?" And he just said, "You."  I just melted!

It's kind of interesting how Heavenly Father places us exactly where we need to be, even though it makes no sense.  Take where I live, for example.  At the beginning of the summer,  I knew I needed to move, and I knew it had to be in Provo.  I even knew why it had to be there.  I also knew I needed to go back to school.  Needless to say, after everything that had happened, it was a little hard not to feel a little overwhelmed.  I had absolutely no idea how anything was going to work out because, in my mind, it made absolutely zero sense.  However, I knew what the Lord had revealed to me, and I had learned that when the Lord tells you to do something, and gives you a time frame, you just have to do it - do your part, and He will make up for the rest.

So I did.  I set out apartment, job, and car hunting.  It was a little scary because I was finding apartments left and right, but jobs and affordable cars were harder to come by.  Well, I finally found a job, which I quit, and then I found another job, where I met a wonderful girl who is now one of my very good friends.  I had one item on my list checked off: job.  Next item of business? Preferably, a car.  Well... it didn't work out that way.  I definitely went out of order on the list of logic.  It would have been ideal to have found a job and a car, and then move, but... the Lord blessed me.

I had spent a lot of time looking on craigslist and ksl for apartments.  I knew I needed to find something that I could afford, but most of all, I knew I needed to feel good about where I was moving.  I know I physically looked at at least 3 apartments, and it's not that I felt "bad" about them, but I definitely didn't feel like that was where the Lord wanted me to be.  So I kept looking.  One day, I had really been praying about where I should go, and I had the thought to go look at the byu website, and look at off campus housing.  There were only a few postings, but I called every one of them, and the only one that called me back was one of the Brownstone Condos.  He was, by far, the nicest landlord I had talked to throughout the whole process.  My brother and I went to meet him at the condo a few days later, and when I walked in, I had this overhwelming feeling that this was where the Lord wated me to be! It was such a cool feeling!

I knew that I didn't have a car yet, but I signed the contract anyway, paid my deposit, and just made sure I had everything taken care of so that I could move in when I wanted to.  Well, the mandatory move in date was fast approaching, and I still didn't have a car.  Long story short, one of my best friends knew about my predicament and told me to use her car until I had my own, no questions asked.

The Lord totally blesses us through other people, and that was one of the biggest blessings I have ever received when I was in great need of blessings.  I still don't think that this friend knows exactly how much of a blessing she was in my life at that time, and I probably haven't done a good enough job at thanking her for it.

Living where I do has definitely been the greatest experience of my life thus far.  I couldn't be more grateful for all the people that I've met there.  They are all so amazing in their own way and have helped me in so many ways.  I am here to tell you that whatever your circumstances, whatever trials you are going through, the Lord will not leave you alone! He wants you to be happy, and you can choose to see His hand in your life, because I know it's there! When your burden feels to heavy, He's there to ease the pain.  It still hurts, but it's so much easier knowing that there is light and joy at the end of the tunnel, and all along the journey.

There was a conference talk that I LOVED this past session.  It said sometimes bad things happen even though you are doing everything right, but the Lord weeps with His innocent lambs.

Blessings come when you're following the Lord's will for you.  Bad things still happen, and I don't know how or when the blessings will come, but I know they do, and I know it's all worth it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment