Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Jobs...

My job is very far away.  I drive 30 minutes to work everyday in the mornings, and it usually takes anywhere from 35-45 in the afternoons to get home.  Not a choice favorite.  I would have to say that it makes getting 8.50 an hour hardly worth it.  I watch my gas gauge go down everyday and think about how many hours of work it will take to replenish that.

And that's why I started looking for a job closer to home.  I applied everywhere, and basically I was a full time job hunter.  Too bad you don't get paid for full time job hunting! I had several interviews to no avail.  I wasn't terribly disappointed, but it was a little disheartening.  But the Lord works in mysterious ways, as we are often reminded.  I had a certain interview which I believed I totally bombed.  I was about 85% positive I would not get hired.  My good friend told me that she had connections to the company, and that she would make sure I had a good word put in for me.  Apparently she had really good connections, because they hired me five days later.

While I was extremely excited, I was also very sad.  I love my job now.  I know I complain about certain aspects of it a lot, but what job isn't like that? Truth is, I didn't know how much I actually liked my coworkers until I told my boss I was leaving.  He tried to convince me to stay, but I told him why I had to leave.  He asked if it paid more, which it did, it was closer, all the things that I needed, and most of all, I knew it was something that Heavenly Father wanted me to do.  I didn't try to explain too much because I didn't need to, but when they said they would miss me, I felt the tears welling up in my eyes and I said I would miss them too and then warned them not to go on about it because I was going to cry.  Then one of my coworkers blurted out "But I'M going to cry!!" and I said "So am I!!" And then I did.

And this past week has been a bit of a doozy.  I didn't realize how much everyone ELSE liked me until I told them I was leaving.  One of my coworkers even offered to pay me an extra dollar an hour out of his paycheck if I stayed.  I laughed, but I'm pretty sure he was being serious.  I have never seen this guy act this serious in his life.  "If you quit, I quit, that's how it goes," says he.  I told him to move the company to Provo and I would stay.  It's true, if they would move it, I would stay! It's just too far with not enough pay to make it worth it.  Even saying that makes me want to cry!

So that has made it a pretty tough week.  I'm a little terrified to start my other job... I shouldn't be, but I always am scared to start new jobs.  I'm always afraid that I won't be good at it, and my bosses won't like me, and maybe I won't have cool coworkers, I will get crappy shifts... you just never know, and I don't like the unknown very much.

But I know it'll work out.  This new job was a huge blessing in and of itself.  That much I know is true.  I do get free meals and a gym pass... I'm looking forward to that :) I'll let you know how the new job goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment