Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Ground Turkey and Taco Shells Unite!

Oh to be poor.  Living on your own.  Saving for or paying for school.  Paying for over priced (not in my case) apartment living.  Cleaning your roommates dishes.  Having too many tomatoes than you know what to do with. It's quite beautiful in its' own way, really.  It's an even more beautiful thing when your apartment mates are in the same situation! Such was the case last night.  My newfound friend (NFF) and I conversed through text message, I lamenting about oatmeal for dinner yet AGAIN, and how it refuses to keep me full for more than 10 minutes, and he lamenting about his box of taco shells, having nothing with which to fill them, thus resulting in intense hunger.

Then, dear readers, a genius idea filled my head.  I had frozen ground turkey.  He had taco shells.  I had cheese.  He had a grater. I had a clean apartment.  He didn't.  Ah ha.

He was skeptical at first.  "Ground what?" says NFF.
"Turkey." Says I.  "You know... it's like beef, except the bird variety."
He stared at my right earlobe.  He blinked.  "This is something I'm not familiar with."

And so we cooked.  But, alas.  The ground turkey was still halfway frozen! I insisted that it would thaw once we started to cook it, but NFF would have none of it.  He did have a grand idea.  Why don't we jimmy-rig a double boiler and thaw the meat that way? (You see, he actually didn't know what it was called, and it took us a good 3 minutes of charades for me to figure out what kitchen gadget he was referring to.)  And so we did.  NFF is very skilled with two frying pans, boiling water, and frozen meat.

After the turkey was substantially thawed, NFF handed the sausage-like package to me, and we both grimaced as the partially cooked yet partially frozen meat oozed from its' plastic casing.  I felt like washing my hands 17 times, but refrained.  While NFF cooked the meat with a wooden spoon (we soon realized how badly my kitchen was in need of stocking), I desperately tried to grate that "paper cheese" as NFF calls it, otherwise known was "white cheese" in my household.

There was also a very sad looking cantaloupe accompanying the meal.  And by sad looking I mean lumpy.  And my lumpy I mean it looked tumorous.  However, that being said, it was probably the tastiest cantaloupe that had graced my tastebuds in a long while.  NFF even let me keep some.  Such generosity!

And with that we feasted.  Cantaloupe and tacos.  Including salsa that turned out to be hotter than I anticipated.  The meal and the company were equally enjoyable.  Post gorging we listened to the "bajillion" of ringtones on NFF's phone.  All of which I approve.  Except for maybe one, and even then I can't say that I don't approve, because I laughed a lot.  This laughing fest made me realize two important things.  1. I am lacking in good ringtones.  2. I am also lacking in good movies.

I have made a vow to fix both of these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment