Sunday, June 5, 2011

Who are you?

Ever since I was a little girl, I knew who I was.  I knew my full name, my parents full names, my address, my phone number, my date of birth... all the things that made me, well, me! I even had a little metal bracelet that had all that information, just in case I ever got lost, so then other people who know who I was, too.

The real meaning of that question has probably changed over the years.  Who am I? I'm the daughter of Mark and Heather Donaldson.  Who am I? I'm Makenna Kathleen Donaldson.  Who am I? I'm a member of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Who am I? I'm a daughter of a King.  Who are you? The answers are probably endless.  The fact is you are divine.  Your nature is divine, your spirit lived with our Father in Heaven, your mission on this earth is divine.  Everything about you is a gift from our Father in Heaven, and you deserve to be treated as such, not only by others, but by yourself.  Remember who you are.  Remember where you came from.  Remember where you are going.  You are special, and you are loved.

We had a great lesson the third hour of church.  All the young women and the relief society sisters met together and were taught by a member of the bishoprick (who also happened to be one of my very favorite seminary teachers from high school).  A lot of the lesson focused on what girls feel like we have to do to attract boys.  We came up with lots of answers: being flirty, dressing pretty, pretending to be interested in the same things, being friendly, happy, being active and outgoing, and things like that.  Then we were asked to come up with what the world taught us would attract men.  Then we were asked to define what we wanted in a future husband.  The girls all came up with things like being friendly, a good listener, caring, devoted, ambitious, and a strong priesthood holder that can recognize Satan.  The last one was really important.  Our teacher made it a point to make sure we understood that in order to get the man we wanted, the strong priesthood holder, we had to be the things that we wanted and forget about what the world teaches us we should do.  Doing what the world says is not going to attract a strong priesthood holder.

The lesson made me think just how important I am and exactly what I want and deserve in a man.  I want, and I need a strong priesthood holder that understands and recognizes when Satan is trying to influence him and his family.  But in order to get that man, I have to be that person.  Never forget just how important you are in the eyes of the Lord, and treat yourself that way, and don't settle to be treated as less than that.

:)

1 comment: