Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Life's short: eat cheezits

Setting: daytime, in the kitchen, in southern California. The sun is shining.
I sit at the bar looking at my mom, while she sips pero leisurely out of a white ceramic mug. We are having a serious conversation. About what exactly? I can't say that I recall. I ask my mom a very serious question, to which she responds with a pensive look for two seconds before saying, "I don't know." She then proceeds to pull Cheezits from her sweats pocket and put them into her mouth.
My mouth falls open.
"Mom... did you really just pull cheezits out of your pocket?"
She looks at me sheepishly, "...Yes... it saves me a trip to the cupboard!"
I adore my mother with all of my heart. This woman knows what's up. Who needs another trip to the cupboard to grab some Cheezits when you have a perfectly respectable pocket that can carry them just fine? Nobody, I tell you, nobody!
I have since taken to carrying things in my sweats pockets, so don't be alarmed if I pull something out of them like, say, a sandwich, or the contents of my purse, aight? Just sayin'. But really though.
We never know how long life is going to be, do we? You could live sixty more years, you could live sixty more seconds, you could live your life without eating another cheezit in your life, and what kind of life would that be? Probably a slightly healthy one. But usually, if I'm craving cheezits and I don't get cheezits, I just eat around the craving. It's a proven scientific fact, folks.
But seriously, you don't know how long life will last. Do your best, be your best, be your kindest, most honest, most loving, most generous self. Be happy with yourself at the end of the day knowing that you have done what's right. Always strive to find that happiness in knowing that God is pleased with your life.Wake up thankful for every day that the Lord has granted you to live. Wake up knowing that the same Lord that granted you another day of life, loves you and loves everyone else you've ever come in contact with. Look through someone else's eyes whenever you have the chance. See the world through their perspective. Be compassionate, be sympathetic, be understanding, be forgiving. Be everything that you want someone else to be to you. And above all, be you. You are you for a reason. There is no one else like you! Be grateful that you're the only you.
Sometimes we feel like the best people seem to have the hardest lives. But at the same time, it's those great people with the hard lives that seem to have the best lives, because they don't waste their time blaming the world for hardships that have tripped them up. Instead they seem to find the happiness and beauty and joy in learning from the trials that they're given. Because that's what they are: given. They are a gift. Without the trials you've made it through thus far in life, you would never have become the person you are today. Be grateful you have the opportunity to better understand the rest of God's children. He understands us perfectly, and when we're given the opportunity to go through something really difficult, I feel like we're given the chance to become that much more like Him, if we choose to. You have two options: happiness or bitterness. Do you even have to think about what you choose? I know I don't!
Life happens. Things happen that you cannot control. Don't waste your time being angry about them, because you don't hurt anyone but yourself.
So go stuff some cheezits in your pockets and be happy.

Cheers, loves. <3

2 comments:

  1. As sad as it sounds, I had to think abput my choice. If it's any consolation, I made the right one in the end. Loved the post and analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. proud to say I don't eat Cheezits anymore!

    ReplyDelete